CableLabs® can help.
CableLabs®, a global technology innovation lab representing over 200 million broadband customers in the cable industry has developed Low-Latency DOCSIS® to reduce last mile latency to under 5 milliseconds and improve jitter. The traffic identification to activate Low Latency DOCSIS® also activates Wi-Fi Multi Media, further improving latency and jitter for users on Wi-Fi.
Limit Ping Spikes (Jitter)
- Implement DSCP packet marking, at least in new games
- Typically 1 additional API call during socket creation
- We have example code for Windows, Android and BSD/Linux with more to come
CableLabs® presented at International Game Developers Association Virtual Conference on May 14, 2020
Next Generation Last Mile Technology
- Reduces network congestion particularly from video streaming
- Lowers poor hit registration, server disconnect and in many cases ultimate loss/ “Game Over”
- Significant reductions in jitter (spikes of latency variability) caused by bursty traffic congestion
- Traditional sparse traffic using “DSCP” in the IP packet header with typically one additional API call